When we look back at the annals of food stories, c. 2017, avocado toast will no doubt be at the top. What other dish has become such a millennial meme?
We’ve all heard that avocado toast is the stopgap to home ownership — so Revere‘s bringing you some non-avocado options!
Baltaire: Through this weekend, the contemporary-meets-classic Brentwood steakhouse is hosting a “Toast to Rosé” brunch menu that features five seasonally-composed toast paired with rosé wines. Toasts include:
- Bellwether Farm Ricotta, Murray Farm Blueberry and Meyer Lemon Compote Toast with Jacobsen Cherrywood smoked honey, and mint, paired with Juvé & Camps Cava Rosé, Spain
- Coke Farm Heirloom Eggplant “Caponata” Toast with Drake Glacier goat cheese, pine nuts, and basil, paired with Domaine des Brosses, Sancerre, France, 2015
- Clear Springs Smoked Trout Toast with house pickled vegetables, gribiche, capers, and upland’s cress, paired with Ployez-Jacquemart Rosé Champagne, France
- Coastal Organics Heirloom Tomato “Caprese” Toast with Di Stefano burrata, opal basil, pesto, and aged balsamic, paired with Vievité Cotes de Provence, France, 2016
- Wood Grilled Kauai Prawns Toast with coconut curry, Thai basil, cilantro, and basil oil, paired with Sanford, Santa Rita Hills, California, 2015
Head over to Esters Wine Shop & Bar for Brioche Toast with Solstice Canyon almond butter, Bavarian cream, and chocolate. Yum!
Venice & El Segundo:
Superba Food + Bread has a few non-avo options — including PB + J, pecan bread and housemade jam on housemade levain bread; Proscuitto Tartine; and Jam of the Week, ricotta and jam on levain.
On Abott Kinney, Gjelina‘s menu includes Goat and Cow Labheh Toast with jam, olive oil, and sea salt; the House Smoked Salmon Toast features housemade pickles and herbed goat cheese.
No article on toast would be complete without Jessica Koslow’s Famed Ricotta Toast at Sqirl. Ricotta and preserves atop brioche, all house-made. Morning doesn’t really get much better than this.
Over the hill, The Bellwether has a Smoked Salmon Toast with rye bread, crème fraiche, and “everything” mix, a take on bagels and lox.
And alas, there’s always avocado toast!